the search for 'neo'...

14.2.06

the only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage

valentines day is for eight year olds.

im not saying this because im single.

im not saying this because im bitter.

im not even saying this because im a guy.

im saying this because im right.

im right – and you know im right.

because if you think back to when you were eight, that was the FIRST, and the LAST time that valentines day actually meant something.

valentines meant eight year old butterflies flitting about in eight year old stomachs.

valentines meant eight year old hearts resonating in eight year old chests.

valentines meant eight year old eyes widening as eight year old fingers lifted up the top of that eight year old’s desk.

and amongst the papers and pens, maybe that eight year old found the valentine that they sought.

or maybe they didn’t.

but for that one afternoon (and perhaps only for that afternoon), valentines day actually meant something to someone.

even if it only meant something to an eight year old.

4 comments:

  • you're right. of 'coz... haha! then again i never had any of that at 8 years old... damn the different cultures haha!

    By Blogger jo c, at 2/16/2006 12:57 AM  

  • i like this.

    By Blogger erin, at 2/16/2006 9:50 AM  

  • Valentine's Day. *shakes head and sighs* I have never been a big fan of it. I don't require flowers...wait, oh yeah! I actually hate getting flowers like that. Cut flowers remind me of death and I can't imagine why people want to kill such beautiful things for a fleeting reason. Meh.

    You're probably right, though. My niece gets so overly excited about it. Last year (when she was eight, strangely enough), she called me on V-day to wish me a happy day. I think I posted about it because I'm normally a V-day hater but...she made it something different, something more. So...it does mean something to eight year olds BUT they can make it mean something to you, too, something more than just another day of mushiness and another reason to buy too much, spend too much, and eat too much (and kill poor, innocent flowers *winks*).

    She made it really about love...but not the kind you normally would think of on that day. She made it about...joy and happiness and excitement and sharing something with loved ones just because you want to, not because it's expected.

    Thank goodness for eight-year-old reminders, eh?

    (Two years?! Egads! It definitely does not seem like that long...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 8:51 PM  

  • 8 year olds huh...I think I disagree, I think for some "older" people they still do all that. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home