the search for 'neo'...

26.9.05

bear market blues

my baby sister lives in new york city.

she graduated two years ago, and she’s working on wall street.

she’s twenty three years old – intelligent, outgoing, and (much to my dismay) very attractive.

despite her impressive qualities, and outstanding attributes, it came as no surprise to me that she called one day to ‘vent’ about how she cant meet any men.

actually, she called to tell me that she cant meet the ‘right’ kind of men.

the guys she works with are skeezy.

the guys she knows from school are dorks.

and she refuses to meet anyone in a bar.

(apparently the apple doesn’t fall too far from the family tree).

in all likelihood, my sister is over exaggerating.

im sure she meets men. in fact she probably meets a lot of men. in fact im sure she gets hit on by all kinds of men every single hour of every single day.

afterall its ennn why ceee – everyones got game, and no ones afraid to use it.

but my sister isnt interested in game, and the guys who hit on her are not the guys that she would date.

in other words she’s meeting guys, but she’s not meeting the ‘right’ guys.

or more accurately – she’s not putting herself in a situation where the ‘right’ guys get to meet her.

which is absolutely key, if you’re the slightest bit picky, and you refuse to buy into the meet market social scene.

because once you cross bars and clubs off, you’re only left with meeting people at work or at home.

(and lets not talk about supermarket hookups) ha!

so i gave her some simple advice – i told her to diversify.

she needs to DIVERSIFY the portfolio of her life.

join a book club.

sign up for a social league.

volunteer with a charity.

play coed sports.

participate in a church group.

sometimes we need to be reminded that luckdestinygodfate can only take us so far… especially if you’re not willing to meet someone at work, and you’re not willing to meet someone in a bar.

these types of boundaries limit most people to the 'idea' of meeting someone between the walk from their office to their car, and from their car to their apartment.

luckdestinygodfate is good, but its not (necessarily) that good.

my sister is a tad lazy, so it wouldn’t surprise me if she heard my advice, but hasn’t heeded my advice.

people are lazy, and she is no exception.

sometimes i laugh at people’s naiveté – i believe in true love's concept of ‘fate’, but i don’t believe that this belief gives me carte blanche to sit in my apartment and wait for my fairy godmother to waver her wand and smack me into my other half.

which is EXACTLY what most people hope/expect to happen.

and i dont think luckdestinygodfate works like that.

which is why im a member of two book clubs.

and i volunteer with three charities.

and i play in two coed sports leagues.

and im training for a marathon.

and im looking for a good church group.

and i still havent found the ‘right’ woman.

and im getting a little worried about it.

but ive diversified my holdings…

and im hoping for a bull market.

booyah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home